Saturday, July 7, 2012

Crystal Garden

I love growing a crystal garden with the students.  My mom called it a "Depression Garden" since she grew up during the Great Depression.  I've used the same recipe for years.  The students are fascinated by the growth of the crystals.  If you can't find laundry bluing locally, you can order it on the internet.  http://www.mrsstewart.com/

My recipe:

Put pieces of coal into a glass dish.  (I picked up my coal from the railroad tracks long ago.  I know some people used charcoal briquettes, bricks, or other porous rocks.) On top of the coal, pour 4 tablespoons salt, 4 tablespoons water, 2 tablespoons ammonia,  and 4 tablespoons bluing.  Add drops of food coloring.  I always sprinkle on extra salt at the end.

After watching the crystals grow for several days, I just wash off the coal and dishes.  I store with my other materials until the next time I wish to grow crystals.

No comments:

Post a Comment